The best decade for movies was the 80s. Some of the best lines have come out of these movies like, “Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf herder,” spoken by Princess Leia in the Empire Strikes Back; “Doodie!” spoken by Spalding Smails in Caddyshack. If you haven’t seen these movies yet, you are missing out. Listed below are various options for you to choose from. Here are the top 10 box office movies from 1980 and some honorable mentions:
1. The Empire Strikes Back– Han Solo is TOTALLY my FAVE!! Yes, that is Darth Vader… =D
(This was just too funny to pass up!)
2. 9-5– Anything with Dolly Parton in it has got to be good!
3. Stir Crazy– Gene Wilder and Richard Pryer together are a comedy gold mine!
4. Airplane– When Rumack says, “I am serious… and don’t call me Shirley.” Toooo FUNNY!! =D
5. Any Which Way You Can– Clint Eastwood and Clyde the orangutan are classic together. You’ll see!
6. Private Benjamin– Goldie Hawn is hilarious in this rad comedy!
7. Coal Miner’s Daughter– Sissy Spacek won an Oscar for best female actress in this biographical film about Loretta Lynn.
8. Smokey and the Bandit II– With stars like Burt Reynolds, Sally Field, Jerry Reed, Jackie Gleason, and Dom DeLuise, how can a movie go wrong?
9. The Blue Lagoon– Brooke Shields and Christopher Atkins are very young lovers stranded on a deserted island. This movie is all about discovery and was controversial at the time.
10. The Blues Brothers– This band was first seen on Saturday Night Live in 1978. Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi are comedic geniuses. They are the lead singers of this crazy band. This is a must see!!
Here are some honorable mentions:
11. Ordinary Family
13. Urban Cowboy
14. The Shining
18. Friday the 13th (The original)
22. The Jazz Singer
25. The Elephant Man
27. Raging Bull
29. American Gigolo
32. Fame- (The original)
Not all of these films are favorites, but they helped define 1980. Grab some popcorn and have a movie night. There are some masterpieces in here.
Like Totally Yours,